During summer’s occasional severe weather, even the best safeguards can’t always prevent a power outage from occurring. If you experience such an outage the first thing to do is contact the utility so that we can get your service restored as quickly as possible. Other precautions to take include:
• Call 911 if you see a downed power line and keep away from the area.
• Avoid opening the refrigerator and freezer. A refrigerator can keep food safely cool for about two hours; a freezer will hold food safely for 24 to 48 hours.
• Close blinds and drapes to keep your home cool.
• Never use portable stoves, grills or generators indoors, including porches and garages, as they can emit dangerous carbon monoxide.
• Drink plenty of water and take a cool shower to deal with hot weather.
New Holstein Utilities is respectfully asking players of the new "Pokémon Go" game to stay clear of utility facilities, especially electric substations. Electric substations have high voltage wiring and should never be entered by unauthorized personnel.