Tips Offered to Customers to Assist with Power Outages
New Holstein Utilities' electric distribution system has performed well through this past winter's winds and the spring's thunderstorms. An emphasis on system maintenance and tree trimming has improved the operation of the electric distribution system. However, birds and animals have caused multiple electric outages throughout NHU's service territory for individual customers.
If electric service is interrupted to your home or business, NHU offers the following tips:
- Check the main electric breaker/fuse to ensure that it did not trip/blow. If it tripped/blew, then reset the breaker or replace the fuse to see if the electric service is restored.
- If electric service is not restored, call the NHU office to report the power outage. Don't assume that a neighbor has reported an outage, as the power interruption may only be affecting your service. When reporting the electric outage, provide any details that you may have that will assist the linemen in restoring service (i.e. time power interruption occurred, heard a loud pop, saw a flash of lightning, squirrel running up a pole, downed line).
- Turn off or unplug your sensitive electronic equipment (i.e. computers, printers, televisions) in case of large in-rush current when the power is restored.
- Leave a radio or light on so you know when power is restored.
- Keep a battery operated radio and a flashlight or candles available for use if there is a storm.
- In case of a long outage, try to stay out of your refrigerator and/or freezer to keep in the cold air as long as possible.
- Always stay away from downed lines. The lines could be energized and harmful if ou come into contact with them.
In cases of multiple outages, the NHU staff will identify the causes and then priortize how to proceed in restoring electric service. When large areas of the service territory are affected by outages, it will take some time to restore the electric service. Thank you for your patience during the power outage. The staff needs to work safely and efficiently to restore electric service.
If you have any questions regarding power outages, please call the NHU office at 898-5776.