Pay Your Bill

News Archive

Ideas for Living Green

“Your phone is charged. Please unplug your charger now.” In the future, many cell phones will give this alert. Why? Because experts say that, on average, only 5% of power drawn by cell phone chargers is actually used to charge phones. The other 95% is wasted when chargers are left plugged in after the charge is complete.

It may only be a few watts, but it adds up. According to estimates, if just a small portion of the world’s cell phone users unplugged their chargers, it would save enough energy to power thousands of homes.

Check your home for other battery chargers and power adapters that are plugged in unnecessarily. You may be surprised at how many of these little energy vampires you have needlessly sucking up energy.